Wednesday 25 March 2020

Anglo Dutch Wars - English Fleet


This project has been an albatross round my neck for months, but I've finally managed to finish the first batch of 19 English ships. It really has been two steps forward, three steps back with this one. Assembling these things was a nightmare of superglue hell. Cutting, shaping and gluing nearly 100 flags was... an experience. Work was set back when our cat decided they were fun things to play with. Even right at the end I messed up the sea bases and got a few unintended blue-green hulls. And then, when varnishing, some of the red ink I'd used on the flags ran all over the place.

So yeah, I'm done, I don't care any more, I'm just glad to have finished them. I'm neither ashamed nor proud of how they've turned out - about 75% happy, which is good enough.

1st Rate (red) and 2nd Rates (white and blue)

3rd Rates
4th and 5th Rates

 






3 comments:

  1. They look great! Mine are in process, and found assembly taxed my limited skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys. Yeah, they really are a pig to put together. I've now got 20 Dutch ships primed and ready to go, so hopefully it's all downhill from here.

    ReplyDelete