Tuesday 31 March 2020

Anglo Dutch Wars - Dutch Fleet


Oranjeboom, Oranjeboom, It's a Lager Not a Tune.

 

Got my head down the past week and boshed out the Dutch ships. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out - the macro lens is a bit unforgiving, but the overall effect of the fleets en masse is pretty much what I was aiming for.

I'm planning to write my own fleet level rules for this period, (unless I find a set that do what I'm after), and I'm going to be trying out various age of sail rulesets in search of ideas. I started with It is Warm Work, a nice simple, no frills set of rules with some interesting ideas.

They suffer from a depressingly common misconception in wargame rules, namely that square rigged warships can sail 45º off the wind like yachts at a regatta. I changed it to 75º. I also did movement in cm rather than inches, and made the ranges 20cm long and 10cm short. The ship stats were taken from the normal napoleonic list, and I printed the Strength Tracks onto labels blu-tacked onto the bottom of the models. The game is a few turns in, and so far is pretty fun, though I think it's way too bloody.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like an impressive line of battle!. I'd be really interested to see how your rules develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just discovered your blog (via TWW) and I'm really enjoying it. Your fleets are very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I’ll be interested in your rules too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks gents. Don't hold your breath for the rules, I'm a horrible procrastinator when it comes to rule-writing. Full of pie-in-the-sky ideas, not so hot on nailing it all down!

    ReplyDelete